Sunday, July 26, 2009
Monday, July 20, 2009
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Thursday, July 9, 2009
MAKING HIS NAME
* Born Aug. 8, 1981 in Basel, Switzerland.
* Bursts on to the scene in 2001 when he ends Pete Sampras's 31-match winning streak at Wimbledon in the fourth round before losing in the quarter-finals.
RECORD 15 GRAND SLAM TITLES
Wimbledon, 2003-2007, 2009; U.S. Open 2004-2008; Australian Open 2004, 2006, 2007; French Open 2009.
* In 2003, becomes the first Swiss man to win a grand slam after beating Mark Philippoussis in the Wimbledon final.
* Is the only man to win five consecutive titles at two different grand slams - Wimbledon and U.S. Open.
* Is the first man to win Wimbledon-U.S. Open double four years in a row.
* Is the only man in the professional era to win three consecutive majors twice in his career when he captured the 2007 Australian Open title.
* Equalled Bjorn Borg's record of five consecutive Wimbledon titles in 2007.
* His run of reaching 10 consecutive grand slam finals is snapped by Djokovic in the 2008 Australian Open semi-finals.
* The 2008 five-set epic at Wimbledon is regarded by many as the best ever tennis match. He lost the match to Rafael Nadal.
* Has reached a record 21 consecutive grand slam semi-finals.
* Breaks American Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam titles with his 15th win in the 2009 Wimbledon final to reclaim the world number one spot from Rafael Nadal.
* In 2009, becomes the first man to reach seven successive Wimbledon finals since the abolition of the Challenge Round in 1922. It is also a record 20th grand slam final for Federer, beating Ivan Lendl's 19.
OTHER CAREER MILESTONES
* Becomes the 23rd man to top the ATP rankings in 2004, and keeps the ranking for a record 237 consecutive weeks.
* Holds a record run of 24 consecutive final victories, which was snapped when he loses 2005 Masters Cup final to David Nalbandian. Finished the season with an 81-4 win-loss record.
* In 2006 he reached all four grand slam finals, winning in Australia, Wimbledon and the U.S. among a haul of 12 titles and a 92-5 win-loss record.
* Has a professional era record of 65 consecutive wins on grass, which was finally snapped by Nadal in the 2008 Wimbledon final.
* Suffered from a bout of glandular fever at the start of the 2008 season which affected his form.
* Married long-time girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec in April 2009 who is expecting their first child.